Andalucia is the perfect place to be in love. Along with its beautiful coastal resorts and charming white villages, the region is also blessed with gorgeous cities – the streets of which were practically designed to be wandered hand-in-hand with your significant other.
Whether you’re looking for a honeymoon or mini-break location or searching for the most romantic place to propose in Spain – TOMA & COE have got you covered. Read on for our pick of the most romantic destinations in Andalucia, and the reasons why you and your partner should visit them!
Whether you’re gazing into each other’s eyes as you sit by the river, or wandering the flower-filled gardens of one of its beautiful parks, Seville is the ideal city to recapture some magic with your loved one. Its heartbreakingly beautiful city centre is filled with excellent restaurants and cosy boutique hotels, giving it all the key ingredients for a seriously romantic weekend away.
Where to stay
The four-star hotel, Legado Alcazar, nestles at the heart of Seville’s old Jewish quarter, Barrio de Santa Cruz. Not only is this neighbourhood dripping in authentic Spanish charm, but it’s also ideally located right in the city centre, a stone’s throw from the cathedral and Alcazar palace.
Legado Alcazar is the perfect base for your romantic getaway. Ensconced within a protected historic building, the hotel’s small size (it only has 18 rooms) lends it a cosy, boutique feel and the team’s attentive customer service and attention to detail are second to none.
Rooms are small but perfectly formed – with comfy beds, abundant natural light and high-quality linen as standard. Superior Suites come with their own private terrace- the perfect spot to sip on some room-service fizz while you watch the sun sink over the rooftops.
Where to Eat
Located on the buzzing square of Plaza de Hercules, in the heart of Seville’s bohemian neighbourhood, you’ll find Al Aljibe. This beautifully decorated restaurant is the perfect spot for dinner – it has both an enclosed downstairs courtyard and an upstairs terrace, providing a cosy setting for an intimate meal. Food is fusion tapas with many plates ideal for sharing- such as the succulent salmon with avocado mayonnaise, or the mouthwatering duck breast with caramelised onion.
Alternatively, if you’re a fan of low-lighting and flickering candles, why not sample some delicious Italian food at San Marco de Santa Cruz? This restaurant has a truly special interior- situated in a spacious, underground chamber decorated with intricate stone arches, in what was formerly an Arabic Bath House dating from the 12th Century.
What to Do
- Rent a riverboat: Why not marvel at the incredible architecture along the banks of the Guadalquivir River on your own private boat ride? Companies such as Guadaluxe offer the option of private boat charter and even have a special “Proposal Package” if you’re planning to pop the question on board!
- Enjoy a cocktail with a view: Venture up to the amazing rooftop terrace at the stylish EME hotel for spectacular views of the neighbouring cathedral tower.
- See a flamenco show: Seville’s prestigious flamenco museum – El Museo del Baile Flamenco– offers a nightly “Intimate Flamenco Show” in its underground dance studio. Places are limited to 40 people per show, making it the perfect option for an evening date.
The stunning city of Granada is a real contender for the most romantic destination in Spain. What’s not to love about an achingly pretty city centre presided over by an awe-inspiring Moorish palace and the distant snowy peaks of the Sierra Nevada mountains? Throw into the mix delicious free tapas and views to die for, and you’ve found the ideal location for your next romantic rendezvous.
Where to Stay
Set within the lovingly preserved walls of a protected historical building, Casa 1800 abounds in chic, boutique charm. With its shaded courtyards and hidden hallways, there are plenty of places to spend a romantic moment, and the hotel’s enviable position down a secluded side street will allow you to forget you’re in the centre of the city.
Fresh flowers, hand-decorated furniture and marble bathrooms lend an opulent touch to Casa 1800’s beautifully decorated rooms, and the charming walled terraces attached to the Deluxe Suites are the ideal spot to enjoy a sunlit breakfast with your partner.
Where to eat
Sequestered away in the lanes of the Albaicin neighbourhood, El Trillo restaurant has all the necessary components for a blissful dinner date, including a flower-strewn terrace with views of the Alhambra, which twinkles with fairy lights when darkness falls. Food is fresh, tasty and innovative – try the creamy wild boar risotto or the roasted peppers stuffed with squid.
What to Do
- Go for a sunset stroll: Tackle the steep streets up to the San Nicolas lookout point and you’ll be rewarded with breathtaking views of the Alhambra palace, resplendent on the adjacent hillside. The perfect spot for sunset.
- Treat yourself to a couples spa day: You could either check out the low-lit luxury of the Hamman baths in the city centre or try a circuit at the Beer Spa on Calle Párraga. Here you can take a relaxing soak in a barrel of hot water and hops while sipping on a chilled glass of Granada’s local larger, Alhambra.
Sitting atop the dramatic El Tajo gorge, Ronda is the largest of Andalucia’s White Village- or pueblos blancos. Despite this, the town has still retained an intimate feel- making it an idyllic spot for a couple’s getaway. Ronda’s privileged positioning means it’s surrounded by views to die for – providing the perfect backdrop for some smitten couple selfies.
Where to Stay
If you want to enhance your romantic weekend with some pampering, four-star Catalonia Reina Victoria is the place for you. The hotel comes with its very own luxury spa, allowing you to kick the day off with a soak in the jacuzzi or spell in the sauna, followed by a refreshing dip in the hotel’s fabulous outdoor swimming pool.
Rooms are stylishly understated with sleek furniture and polished wooden floors. Many come with their own private balcony, offering panoramic views of the surrounding countryside. The hotel is located a 10-minute walk from the town centre, but if you fancy being even closer to the action, its sister hotel – Catalonia Ronda– overlooks the bullring in the heart of Ronda.
Where to Eat
Located in the Montelirio hotel in the centre of Ronda, Albacara restaurant enjoys some of the best views in town. The restaurant’s outdoor terrace is backed by mountains and overlooks Ronda’s iconic Puente Nuevo bridge, which arches over a dizzying gorge. Food is classic Spanish cooking done to a high standard and service is friendly and efficient. Make sure you’re seated in time for sunset!
What to Do
- Go on a romantic bike ride: The stunning countryside surrounding Ronda provides the perfect backdrop for a day’s cycling with your significant other. Pedal the quiet country roads and wind up in a picturesque white village for lunch – what better way to spend the day? Andalucian Cycle Experience offers a range of bikes for full or half-day hire, and even has the option of electric bikes if you don’t fancy tackling the hills!
- Go wine tasting: Spending the day sampling Ronda’s fantastic wines in some of the region’s finest wineries makes for a pretty original date. Check out the fantastic Descalzos Viejos Finca or the fabulous Bodegas Vetas – both located a short drive outside Ronda itself.
The bewitching beauty of Córdoba is sure to cast its spell over holidaying couples. From its famous flower-stuffed balconies to its labyrinth of narrow streets and golden bricked buildings -this Roman city possesses charm and culture by the bucketload.
Where to Stay
If you’re seeking luxury accommodation in an enviable central location, then look no further than the beautiful Balcón de Córdoba.
Designed in homage to a traditional Andalusian townhouse, this four-star hotel oozes understated charm. The individually named bedrooms are luxuriously decked out with snowy beds draped in soft linen, and decorated in soothingly neutral tones. Book yourself into a Junior Suite and you will also enjoy access to your own private patio, complete with a spacious day bed and views of the city.
The hotel also boasts a rooftop bar and several lovely interior patios. It even has its own archaeological collection – carefully preserved artefacts donated by the town hall and local culture centre are placed on display throughout the hotel for guests to admire.
Where to Eat
Local institution Casa Pepe de la Juderia is well known for its excellent food and quirky decor. But, for those seeking a more romantic dining experience, it also has a rooftop terrace with fantastic views of the neighbouring mosque. Adorned with geraniums and potted plants, there are few spots better suited to an intimate evening meal for two.
Alternatively, if you feel like splashing out be sure to book a table at Noor. This innovative restaurant, the concept of Michelin starred Spanish chef Pablo Morales, specialises in reinterpreting ancient Al Andalus recipes. Exquisite flavours are channelled into a range of beautifully presented dishes, served up in a sparsely elegant dining room. There are three menus on offer, starting at €95. The perfect way to treat that special someone!
What to Do
Córdoba’s world-famous mosque- or Mezquita- is jaw-dropping at the best of times, but plan your visit after dark and you’re guaranteed a truly magical experience. The Soul of Córdoba allows visitors to marvel at the breathtaking interior of the Mosque at night – lit up by a spectacular light show and accompanied by a stirring musical score. An amazing way to kick off a romantic evening!
If your idea of the perfect romantic weekend is strolling hand-in-hand along white-sanded beaches, then Cádiz is the place for you.
Perched on a peninsula overlooking the crashing waves of the Atlantic ocean, Cádiz is renowned for its old-world charm, laid back vibe and friendly locals. Small enough to explore in a weekend, the city has a great deal to offer: from beautiful beaches to a delightful historic centre scattered with stunning architecture.
Where to Stay
Located in the heart of Cadiz’s pretty old town, Casa de Las Cuatro Torres hotel is an ideal hideaway for holidaying couples. Choose between your own self contained apartment or a private room- all beautifully decorated with thoughtful local touches. Opt for an exterior room and your floor to ceiling windows will look out over the neighbouring plaza and tree-lined surrounding streets. Not a bad view to wake up to!
Where to Eat
If you fancy staging your romantic dinner in a classic Spanish restaurant, few places are better suited than El Faro. Named after the Spanish word for lighthouse, this restaurant serves up delectable fresh seafood in cosy surroundings. Each of its two dining rooms is decked out in traditional Andalucian style – with brightly coloured plates adorning the walls and even the odd leg of hanging jamón amongst them!
If you fancy pushing the boat out, Aponiente restaurant in nearby Puerto de Santa Maria is also an excellent option. A proud holder of no less than 3 Michelin stars, dining here is truly an experience. The impressive menu focuses on fresh, sustainable seafood and service is intense yet impeccable. Be prepared to clear your schedule, though – each course is carefully explained in exacting detail, so dinner could end up taking the whole evening!
What to do
- A romantic boat ride across the harbour: A 20-minute crossing from Cádiz port on the Bahia catamaran will leave you in the nearby coastal town of Puerto de Santa Maria. A popular spot for holidaying Spaniards, the town has a lovely beach and some great local bars. You could even stop in at one of its many sherry bodegas for a tasting before you set sail again.
- Pack a picnic and head to the beach: The smaller city beach of Playa Caleta offers a more sheltered spot on those windy days. Alternatively, the sweeping arc of Playa Victoria to the west of the centre provides wow-factor views for an al fresco lunch.
Here at TOMA & COE, we consider ourselves a bunch of hopeless romantics – so we’d relish the opportunity to plan a romantic mini-break or an enchanting honeymoon on your behalf. Get in touch today to see what we can offer!