Fiona Dunlop’s Secret AndaluciaAutumn Tour; when the light is magical and the crowds have gone.
November 6th – 12th 2018
Led by Fiona Dunlop, food and travel writer and author of the upcoming Andaluz, you will learn about the region's exotic Moorish past, its unique food culture and Spain's quirkiest inhabitants.
Travel through majestic, mountainous landscapes, discover traditional craft villages, explore cave houses and castles, eat at top tables and visit Granada’s magical and unforgettable Alhambra.
- Lunch at the Alhambra and meet the Parador’s head chef
- See how the world’s first organic caviar is made - and taste it!
- Learn to cook tapas and experience Almeria’s tapas bars
- Pick olives in a traditional Andalucian Cortijo and learn about olive oil production
- Discover Andalucia’s traditional handicrafts
About the tour
Tuesday 6th November (D)
Arrive in Malaga and make your own way to the rather fabulous Molina Lario Hotel right by the Cathedral. Fill in some time at the spectacular Picasso Museum (which will be holding a Picasso & Andalusia exhibition), just minutes away, before meeting the group late afternoon followed by a Welcome Dinner in the Old Town
Wednesday 7th November (B, L & Tapas)
Early morning visit to capture the buzz at Mercado de Atarazanas (optional). Drive east along coast stopping at a wonderful hilltop restaurant with views to Africa for lunch. Arrive in Almeria and check-in to the superb Hotel Aire then a late afternoon visit of Alcazaba.
This evening, you will enjoy a Tapas-crawl in centre of town (2 – 3 bars).
Thursday 8th November (B, L and Tapas)
After breakfast you will stroll through the centre to see ‘walk of fame’ of Almería´s thriving film industry and we will also see the covered food market. Afterwards, we drive to Nijar to see crafts, and enjoy a pottery & weaving demo with Matthew Weir, then continue south past the vast greenhouses of the Almeria province into the Cabo de Gata nature reserve. We will then make out way via Ruescas to the coast & enjoy lunch at El Parque restaurant – fresh seafood & luscious rice dishes. Hopefully we will see flamingos from hides by the road. * not guaranteed
Then it’s back to Almeria for some free time before we reconvene for a tapas cooking class.
Friday 9th November (B, L)
Today we will drive to Granada, stopping en route at Purullena to see the cave-houses, church-cave, cave museum and local ceramics. Granada hotel check-in. Gar Anat in the Old Jewish Quarter of Realejo. Alhambra – Lunch at the Parador, meet chef Juan Francisco Castro- for brief tour of the herb garden.
Visit Nazrid Palaces with a local guide then free time to explore the idyllic Moorish gardens
Optional tasting dinner at Damasqueros Restaurant or free evening.
Saturday 10th November (B, L & D)
After breakfast in your hotel the group will walk to visit Bañuelo/ Arab baths & buy cakes from a convent of cloistered nuns. We’ll then leave for the spectacular Alpujarra mountains, in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, to visit the charming town of Lanjaron. Time to walk round the food shops & visit the Water Museum before a lunch at a local Venta for some traditional fayre.
Back to Granada for a little down time before we enjoy a meal in the Moorish quarter of Albayzin in a typical converted Carmen. (House with a garden and a view) with romantic views of the spotlit Alhambra
Sunday 11th November (B, Caviar, L & D)
Head west to Antequera, stopping at Rio Frio for 1-hr tour of the sturgeon farm & organic caviar-tasting.
Olive picking in a historical Cortijo near the village of Archidona.
Late Lunch at Arte de Cozina
Afternoon check-in to the National Parador of Antequera
Farewell Dinner in the Bull Ring of Antequera.
Monday 12th November (B)
After breakfast at your hotel, there will be one group transfer at 10am back to Malaga to your return flights or onward travel.
Prices from 2140 Euros Single Supplement 330 Euros per person
- This tour package includes all ground transportation from Day 2. Guests make their own way to the group hotel in Malaga for a welcome meeting at 5pm on Day 1. One airport transfer on the departure morning will be offered at 10am from the hotel to arrive at Malaga airport at 11am. Please consider this when booking flights.
- Local guides in Almería and Granada are included as are entrance tickets to the main sights and monuments as details on the itinerary
- Breakfasts, lunches and dinners are included in the tour price. With lunches and dinners, half a bottle of wine per person is included as our “starter pack”. All other wine can be paid for at the table.
- Gratuities to your tour leaders (Fiona & TOMA & COE Tour Leader) and local guides are not included
- Extras at your hotels are not included
- Flights are not included
- Prices quotes are for double occupancy with either 1 double bed or 2 singles
- Both groups and solo travellers are welcome to join the tour.